Thursday, January 17, 2008

Why do people have to be so shitty?

I'm speaking on many many levels, here.

1st - Guiliani has lost any potential support I might have had for him. I know what you're thinking: "Emily, you're rather liberal to be supporting an old Republican guy." And you're right...but I thought he was a funny little man who did some good - if shady - things for NYC and up until roughly 5 hours ago I liked him to most of the GOP candidates. And then he opens his mouth on the subject of women's rights and I want to drop kick him back to the prehistory when it was ok for men to dictate what happens to a woman's body. Oh wait, it wasn't even ok then because she would have CLUBBED HIM with the leg bone of the wooly mammoth she just barbecued up for him. Assuming that with fire came some self-awareness. Putting a Justice on the court who will overturn Roe v. Wade should the chance come to him is NOT being very forward thinking. It's bad enough that the hardest decisions a woman has to make are already regulated by a bunch of men she's never met. So my last words to Mr. "No I didn't cut my hair to get rid of my lame-ass combover" are BACK OFF you little Gnome!

How did this even come up, you ask? The anniversary of Roe v. Wade is Tuesday. I get all warm and squishy when I think about how far the women's movement got us. Contraception, the opportunity for jobs outside of the home, The right not to wear a bra and live with our sag...the right to deal with what our bodies are doing to us and only consult those to whom it matters most: our own conscience, our husband/partner, a parent if one choses, your Doctor, your God, your minister...the LAW needs to stay out of it.

This is on my Top Five Reasons to Leave the Country list. It's right under "some fuckwit thinks he can re-write the constitution to put God into it," "Leaf Blowers are more efficient than rakes and brooms", "Marijuana is a gateway drug", and chain restaurants. Ok, it's neck and neck with Marijuana laws.

Confession: Emily Smokes Out. Um...more accurately, Emily Has Been Known to Smoke Out." Not since July, thanks to the brain swell. And also it fucks with your ovulation so I'm holding off. Although there was a time when the Lyrica was unbearable that I almost put in a large order. If we lived in Cali, or if my Doctor hadn't left his practice in the middle of all of this, I would have. And Husband was actually the first to suggest it. We didn't, though, mostly because of said doctor absenteeism. In my opinion (and I'm actually quoting the late Ted Demme) If Tequila is legal, pot should be legal. Anyway...

So here's a little story. I've known this chick...we'll call her Spare...since 8th grade. We were close for a while and then not close and then close and then not - all depending on what our lives were doing at the time. In the past several years, she's had many many many many dramatic events. To the point that at least once a week there was a lecture happening on how Stupid she was being regarding her heart, her body...on-and-off relationships, repeated heartbreaks...you know the type. She moves and doesn't tell me. (myspace revealed that one) She's home at the holidays and doesn't tell me (again...) But then there's a drama and she calls not only my phone, but Husbands as well (she assumes that I don't answer my phone because I'm with him and she can call him to get to me. Except that I was at work and we got married, not conjoined) and when I call and leave a message she doesn't return it and when I send her a text she calls and leaves a loooong message and then doesn't tell me she's not coming back for the weekend...

Listen up, Spare. I am not your ambulance. You have plenty of people that you rotate through your top myspace friends (and bed) that you can lean on. I might have been the lone voice of reason in your crazy little life but I am forever silent on the topic of you. Particularly now that I've gone and gotten my venting out of the way. Oh, and how did I tell you? Check your myspace friends list, bitch.


Wow, I'm all kinds of fiesty today. Must have been the snow flurries.

Ok, back to what I was doing...hunting down an agent. Wish me luck!

EDIT...so I'm engrossed in Weeds (thank God for streaming video and a not-ghetto computer) and I just want to say that Mary Louise Parker is 43. I thought she was a good ten years younger. Fingers crossed that in 15 years I will be a MILF. For Reals. Because woman is enviably gorgeous. Must be the sunscreen....

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I almost agree with you. The only thing I disagree with is about the law being involved. I think the law needs to be involved to the extent that it needs to protect our right to consult our doctor, God or others of our choosing to make decisions about our bodies.

All this crap about overturning Roe v Wade is insane anyways. Do politicians ever look at numbers? Abortion rates in the US are lower than they have been in 30 years! And are much lower than in other countries where abortion is illegal. Wow...imagine what might happen if they even gave women access to better medical care and education...