Thursday, July 17, 2008

Tonsils, Butt Muscles, and a Mini Reviews

Kris had her tonsils out. I've spent every day this week taking care of her. Apparently it blows. Which I've witnessed but not experienced. I have a new respect for Steve for taking care of me for a year.

I tried to get some snaps of her dogs because she'd like to have portraits of them, but she's a teacher and they're dogs...so the amateur steps in. Seth, the male, has no problems coming right up and trying to lick the lens. He smiled and almost posed and was basically a camera whore. Amunet, however, climbed to new heights of scaredy-dogness. At point she was asleep on her bed and heard me pulling out the camera. She was in the master bedroom cowering before I even turned around. Then Kris pulled out the food and she hung out a bit...we'll see how the images turn out.

Note: when you have the surgery that I had performed, they cut through some muscle. It's muscle you never think about using. It's muscle that has functioned the way it's supposed to your entire life. But once they cut it, you'll realize that you do use. Every day. For walking, sitting, standing...everything. And as it heals you'll realize that you work it a lot just living. And then you'll decide to wear heels...and the next day a muscle you've never even thought about will be sore. In your butt. Word.

Unrelated: picked up the She&Him Volume One. It's fab. In case you're not addicted to Stereogum like me, I'll fill you in. "She" = the incomparable Zooey Deschanel. "Him" = the equally incomparable M. Ward. And together you get:

They've got an EmmyLou Harris/Marvelettes/Patti Smith/Janis Joplin/Beatles in the Islands sound going on. I'm not going to do a song-by-song because look what I'm listening to:

Do not adjust your screens. That is, in fact, 12 inches of vinyly goodness. That's right the Old 97s put their newest album out on vinyl. And I bought it. And I'm listening to it. Nothing sounds better than vinyl fresh out of the plastic. :-D

Anyway, back to She&Him and the greatness of their debut album, which has been in heavy rotation on my ipod since I ripped it (yes, ipod. I'm not a total luddite. Although if it were available on vinyl you know I would have gone that route.) There's a nice little cover of You've Really Got A Hold on Me (originally by The Miracles for Motown) and another of I Should Have Known Better (Lennon/McCartney) that I actually had to concentrate on to place. It might have been the steel drums that threw me off. Oh yes, I said steel drum. Kettle drum? Popping up on the other gems are steel guitars and enchanting vocals. You can sing along with every song, which I like. The lyrics are compelling and intentional. Trust me. Lucky for us - their first video is also the first song I heard from the new album (thank you, Stereogum) and I love it. The song and the video.

Here you go:

No comments: